Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mommy picked up a gallon of local apple cider at the orchard the other day to make this recipe! From henrysmarkets.com. *Important*: DO NOT feed honey to children under 2 years of age. I'm quite sure this could also be prepared in a crock pot.
- 1 gallon local apple cider or 1 gallon local apple juice
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 5 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 6 black peppercorns
- 10 allspice berries
- 2 pieces crystallized ginger (aka "candied" ginger)
- 1 medium oranges or 2 clementines, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup raw sugar or 1⁄4 cup local honey
- whole cinnamon stick, for garnish (optional)
- Place spices in a tea infuser or wrap and tie in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Pour apple cider into a large saucepan.
- Add spices, orange wedges and sugar (or honey).
- Bring to an almost boil, turn heat down and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Pour cider through a strainer. Remove orange wedges.
- Serve warm and garnish with a cinnamon stick if desired.
Very good flavoured apple drink! I used apple juice and admit it was Allen's but I know it would be better with local cider or local organic apple juice if there is such thing. I had to use ground allspice, the orange, honey that sadly wasn't local but obviously it would be better. Plus the rest. I tied the spices up in 1 layer of cheese cloth. Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.