Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup unsweetened apple cider or 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed dried apple rings, chopped
Apple Cider Icing
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple cider or 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325°; spray 10-inch tube pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
- Add eggs, butter, apple cider, shortening, and vanilla to flour mixture.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat for 1 minute, until blended.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula; beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Gently stir in dried apples.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 80-90 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert cake onto rack to cool completely.
- When cake is cooled, make icing-in a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients until blended and smooth; use immediately.
- Drizzle icing over top of cooled cake.