Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Yummm...doughnuts that aren't bad for you, and a perfect accompaniment to some nice fresh apple cider. From the Detroit Free Press on Oct 14, 2003.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray the molds of 2 mini bundt cake pans (6 cakes per pan) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine the granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Distribute this cinnamon/sugar mixture evenly amongst the cake pans, shake out the excess onto a sheet of wax paper and return to bowl for use at the end of the recipe.
- In a larger bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and remaining 2 tsp of cinnamon and set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together the egg whites, brown sugar, apple butter, maple syrup, apple cider, yogurt, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir just'til moistened.
- Divide the batter among the prepared molds (approx 2 heaping Tbs of batter per mold).
- Sprinkle the reserved cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of the batter in the molds.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or'til a wooden pick inserted in a doughnut comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool 2 minutes in pan, loosen and place doughnuts on a cooling rack.
I doubled this and made it in a regular bundt pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. VERY easy and (relativly) healthy.
Theyse are great! I love the texture of them and the flavor. I used some homemade apple butter and since I didn't have the vanilla yogurt so I used plain and added some vanilla and sweetner. I noticed that the instructions weren't real clear about the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Note that when you shake out the excess you will need to save it to put on top of the batter or you'll have to mix up more before you bake them. We will definitely be making these again.
Very good doughnuts. Enjoyed by everyone. I had some apple cider that I had reduced (I had 2 cups and reduced down to 2/3 of a cup) and wanted to use up so I tried it in this recipe. I also used french vanilla yogurt. I got 12 nice sized mini bundt cake doughnuts. I would like to try this as a bundt cake next time. Thanks for posting this recipe, one I will be making again.