Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe from Home made Simple. Recipe does not say how many recipe will yield. Let me know if you try them. I will say 12. Guessing at prep and cooking time. They sound delicious! Enjoy
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- vegetable oil or shortening (for frying)
- Boil cider in small sauce pan until cider is reduced to 1/4 cup, 8-10 minutes, let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar with solid shortening until smooth.
- Mix in eggs, then add buttermilk and cooled cider.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add to wet ingedients and mix well.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured board and pat to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with a 3 inch donut cutter; re roll the excess donut holes and put scraps back into the dough.
- Refrigerate formed donuts on baking sheets with wax or parchment paper for 20 minutes to help firm dough for frying.
- Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep (3 inch) inch pan; heat to 375 degrees or until oil is bubbling.
- Fry several donuts at a time, turning until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Place on paper towel covered dishes for draining and cooling.
- Shake donuts in plastic zip top bags with cinnamon and sugar, and place on wire rack to continue cooling.