Recipe by HisPixie
From the Lehigh Valley Live website, May 2011. One of my coworkers brought these in and I had to have the recipe! It uses an injector for the apple butter filling so I have to figure out how to do that (or go buy one!).
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter (approximate amount, the recipe didn't specify)
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line 12 cupcake wells.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture, then 1/2 of the cider, and repeat, ending with the last of the flour and mixing only until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pan, filling each cup 3/4 way full. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool thoroughly, inject with apple butter in the center of the cupcake, then frost.
- Frosting Directions:.
- Melt brown sugar and 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat. Whisk in cream; blend well. Transfer to a heat-resistant bowl. Cool at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Place remaining 6 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. With mixer running, slowly pour in cooled brown sugar mixture; beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually, beating well after each addition until completely smooth. Chill slightly for a firmer texture, stirring occasionally.