Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Algood
- 3 cups apple cider
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, a pinch
Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the cider to a gentle boil and cook around 15 minutes to reduce by half; set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour a muffin pan or fill with paper liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add to the shortening mixture alternately with the reduced cider, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and bake 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, and then frost with Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Frosting—in a small saucepan, bring the cider to a gentle boil and reduce to ¼ cup, around 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Mix with the cream cheese and sugar until the desired spreading consistency is obtained.
- Spread on cooled pastries.