From a French cookbook, the original name is "Poulet Vallee d'Auge". This dish has conquered even my most traditional friends who were horrified at the sight of an apple on the same plate with a piece of chicken! (Calvados is a liquor distilled from apples).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Heat 2 tbsp butter and the olive oil in a skillet, brown chicken pieces, then pour Calvados on the chicken and carefully light it with a match (keep a lid nearby, just in case…).
- 3When the pan is no longer on fire, add scallions and cook on low heat until tender but not browned.
- 4Pour Apple Cider in the pan and cook for 15 minutes, turning the chicken pieces once after 10 minutes.
- 5Melt 2 tbsp butter in another pan, add mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
- 6Add mushrooms and their liquid to the chicken pan, add cream too and cook further 5 minutes.
- 7Take chicken out of the pan and keep it warm while thickening the sauce for about 10 minutes.
- 8Salt and pepper to taste, return chicken to pan, bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes more.
- 9Meanwhile core the apples without peeling them, brown them in a pan with remaining 2 tbsp butter.
- 10Serve the chicken aside the apples, garnish with parsley.
- 11(I like to do the recipe with only chicken breasts, cut into strips, and reduce cooking time accordingly).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Cider Chicken With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.5
- Calories from Fat 626
- Total Fat 69.6 g
- Saturated Fat 29.1 g
- Cholesterol 272.0 mg
- Sodium 320.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 49.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: