Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fall will be here soon. I can almost hear the leaves rustling now. Have fun with this fondue on a cool fall evening.
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sparkling apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper
- cheddar cheese cube
- waffle, pieces
- sausage, slices (summer sausage)
- apple, slices
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, toss the cheese and cornstarch together.
- Add the cider and lemon juice to a saucepan; heat over medium heat until just barely simmering.
- Add the cheese mixture to the saucepan, a handful at a time; stir until the cheese is melted before adding the next handful of cheese.
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper to taste; stir to blend.
- Let cook on low heat for 3-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a fondue pot and keep warm over the burner OR transfer to a crockpot set on LOW to keep it warm.
- Serve with cheddar cheese cubes, waffle pieces, sausage slices, apple slices, or anything else you can think of.
Very good! I made two fondues for dinner and this was the family favorite. The sparkling apple cider and fresh lemon juice were a great addition. Made a bunch of baguettes using the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day recipe and method which was dense, chewy and perfect with this fondue. Also offered apple slices, carrot sticks, and pear slices. Be sure to grate your own sharp cheddar, the pregrated stuff has additives that keep it from mixing smoothly. Thanks for sharing the recipe!