Top Review by Suse40
This is a perfect blend for apples and "hard" pears! Hard pears are plentiful around here, but only for a short time, so I was delighted to find this recipe. I only made a small amount this year, but will definitely plan for more next year. Thanks for the unique recipe, barefoot Beachcomber!
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 lb seedless raisin
- 6 lbs apples (very tart, Sour;Apples are to be peeled, quartered and cored.)
- 1⁄4 lb garlic, Peeled and Chopped
- 1⁄2 lb gingerroot, Peeled & Chopped
- 6 red chili peppers (seeded and chopped) or 6 green chili peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 6 lbs hard green pears, Pears should be peeled, cored and cut into strips.
Directions See How It's Made
- In large preserving kettle mix the vinegar, sugar, raisins, apples, garlic cloves, gingerroot, peppers, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the apples are mushy and transparent.
- If neccessary, add a little more vinegar.
- Taste and add sugar and cayenne as desired.
- Then add the pears and simmer until the pears are tranparent but not overcooked.
- Spoon into hot jars and seal.