Recipe by lazyme
This is from the Duck Soup Inn in the San Juan Islands. We really liked this alot with ham.
Top Review by MaryMc
This was a big hit with the pork roast at Christmas dinner. I'll definitely be making it again! The only thing I changed was to add about 1/4 tsp. of ground cardamom and 1/4 tsp. of white pepper.
- 3 cups granny smith apples, peeled and chopped (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid is slightly syrupy, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Season chutney to taste with salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
- Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.