- 10 small green apples
- 5 large tomatoes
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small chilies, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 cups cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core and chop apples.
- Combine with tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic, chilies, raisins, juices, brown sugar and vinegar in a large deep heavy-based pan.
- Stir over low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase heat, stirring occasionally until mixture boils.
- Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until fruit and vegetables are tender and chutney is thick.
- Stir occasionally.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Using a jug, pour into warm sterilised jars and seal immediately.
- Label and date jars when cool.
- Store in a cool place for up to 12 months.
- Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.