Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Zingy flavors from the Southern Chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Delicious with chicken or game.
- 1⁄3 lb gingerroot (the original recipe called for wild ginger root)
- 1 1⁄2 cups currants
- 1 1⁄2 ounces garlic, peeled and halved
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups vinegar (use equal parts of cider vinegar and tarragon vinegar)
- 3 pints apples, peeled and diced
- 1 pint peach, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and mince ginger fine; wash and drain currants.
- Cook sugar, salt and vinegar together in a large stockpot to a clear syrup; add the ginger root and let it cook in the syrup for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for 5 hours over very low heat.
- Stir occasionally.
- The chutney should be the consistency of a thick marmalade.
- Fill sterilized jars and seal.