Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a book called Celebrating Chocolate written by Beverley Sutherland Smith.This pudding is light, not too sweet and has a moist, almost sticky texture.It looks like a cake and can be served as one and slices beautifully once cooled. I also substituted flaked almonds instead of the walnuts and apricots can also be use in place of apples.Just divine served with the cream.
- 425 g apricots or 425 g apples, pie-packed
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 125 g butter, cut into small pieces
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 295.73 ml flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 60 g chocolate, cut into tiny pieces
- 59.14 ml sultana
- 59.14 ml walnuts, chopped
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to moderate - 180°C.
- Butter base and sides of a 20cm cake tin and line base with non-stick baking paper.
- Mix pie-pack fruit with 2 tablespoons of sugar and lemon juice and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder,bicarb and cinnamon over top and mix. This forms a very stiff mixture.
- Stir in fruit mixture (apple or apricot), chocolate, sultanas and nuts. Mix well.
- Tip mixture into prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until firm to touch on top.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before inverting on to a serving plate. Dust with sifted icing sugar.
- Serve with vanilla or brandy custard, ice-cream or lightly whipped cream sweetened with a few drops of vanilla and a little castor sugar.
- Note: I prefer this served warm, so with the left overs I zapped each individual slice in the microwave for about 15 seconds and it was just right.
- Note: I also used a 385g can of pie apples as this was all I had on hand and it was perfect.
This recipe was made specifically for a neighbor couple, but it got to them minus a slice (gotta do the obligatory taste-test, of course)! You've got A WONDERFUL TASTING 'PUDDING' here, for sure! I did use the apples & dark chocolate & had a special treat! A definite keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Make My Recipe tag game]