Recipe by dicentra
From the Washington Apple Commision. No sugar, no fat! Serve on pancakes, waffles, toast, English muffins or graham crackers.
Top Review by kats pot
I chose this recipe because we like apples in our family. For fruit juice I used freshy pressed orange juice, from sweet oranges. Though the spread was very good, it was also quite sour. My daughter (2) loved it and we ate it as it was.
- 3 fuji apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup fruit juice or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, combine apples, cherries, fruit juice, and cinnamon stick.
- Cover and bring to simmer over medium heat; cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Uncover and reduce heat to low; cook 15 to 20 minutes longer or until apples are very soft but retain their shape.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Add lemon zest to apple mixture.
- In blender or food processor, puree apple mixture until chunky spread forms. Cool completely.
- Chill before serving. Store in refrigerator.