Recipe by CIndytc
I made this for Company last night and it was fabulous and so easy... Got it from Betty Crockers Fall Baking Magazine...I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust. The only thing I changed is I used Splenda instead of sugar as I was feeding a diabetic...
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cut cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 cups peeled tart apples, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tart red cherries, well drained
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sheet of foil on oven rack below the rack pie will be baked on to catch any drips.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Put pastry into a pie pan, crimp edges.
- In large bowl, mix filling ingredients until fruit is coated.
- Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate.
- In medium bowl, mix 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup sugar. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir in almond extract and egg.
- Spoon topping over filling as evenly as possible.
- Bake pie uncovered 20 minutes or until topping and crust begin to brown.
- Cover entire surface of pie with another sheet of foil to prevent overbrowning;.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown, and pie is bubbly.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour, before serving.