Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a take-off on the more common apple noodle kugel [OR more specifically on KITTENCAL's Fantastic Apple-Cranberry Apricot Matzoh Kugel!, here on Zaar], & although it doesn't have the cheddar cheese taste of the good ol' apple-pie-and-cheese [from my childhood], it's a pleasant, mild-tasting variation!
- 4 cups cooked cheese tortellini, al dente
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 7 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried apricots, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F & butter the bottom & sides of a 3-quart casserole dish (OR a 13x9-inch glass baking dish).
- In a bowl, mix together sliced apples, pie filling, brown sugar & orange juice.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk eggs.
- To eggs add salt, cinnamon, granulated sugar, melted butter, cranberries & apricots, mixing to combine.
- Add tortellini and apple mixture to egg mixture; mix well.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish, then cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 20 minutes or so, until apples are tender.
- Serve at room temperature.
this is delicious, and makes a ton, I did a few amount adjustments and used raisins in place of the cranberies, great recipe Syd, thank you!