Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love to experiment with different sweet breads and this one I found in a New England Cook Off book.
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups peeled and grated apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup apple jelly
- Toss the grated apple with the 2 tbsp sugar and stir in cheese.
- Set apple mixture aside.
- Into large bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar.
- In separate bowl combine butter, eggs, and milk.
- Stir in apple mixture with the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add milk mixture and stir only until evenly moistened.
- Pour into well greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- lower heat to 325°F and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until bread tests done.
- Remove from oven and pour melted apple jelly over top while bread is still in pan.
- Let cool for 20 minutes then remove bread and finish cooling on a wire rack.