Recipe by Tee Lee
Apples, cheddar cheese and a cream cheese topping.... these bars sound delicious. I haven't made them yet, but I can't wait to try them. (Prep time is a guess). Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.
Top Review by Debber
Took these along to DD's 4-H "Dog Obedience" graduation class & potluck tonight. Heard tons of compliments and had two requests for the recipe! Followed the recipe as is, except for I mixed the crust with my mixer instead of by-hand. Also used two Braeburn & two Red Delicious apples....would use more tart-tasting apples next time. KEEPER!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 medium apples, peeled and shredded (Golden Delicious, Rome, Granny Smith, Jonathan or Newtown Pippin)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust, in a medium bowl, combine 2 cups flour, butter, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks and baking powder.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed until combined (mixture will be crumbly).
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- For filling, in a large bowl combine shredded apples, cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup flour and the cinnamon.
- Spread the filling evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture and set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar and softened cream cheese.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top layer of crumb mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes more or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan, cut into bars and serve.