Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The classic apple/cheddar combination shines in this delicious bread.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and chopped apples
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Combine the self-rising flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in the walnuts.
- Combine the chopped apples, butter, cheese, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the apple mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 5x9 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes. Cover loaf with foil during the last 15 minutes if necessary to prevent overbrowning. Invert onto a wire rack to cool.
Found this recipe many years ago in a magazine and hadn't made it since. This time, I used tart apples and sharp cheddar cheese. Really good!
A rich fall flavored bread that has delighted all who tasted it. As a rule I do not read the reviews before making but this time did and am glad I did as it did lead to me increasing the cheese a bit using 3/4 of cup. Will make this flavorful well balanced bread exactly the same way again. Thanks for the post.
This bread is delicious! I was concerned because the "batter" was so thick but it turned out perfectly. This was most enjoyed warm from the oven - no butter required! I would at least double the cheese next time because it's the one thing that I didn't really taste. Also, I used skim milk, low fat cheese and Self Rising Flour [america] for the flour. Made for Almost 5 tag game. Thanks loof! :)