Recipe by susie cooks
This soup is great. From BH&G.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
What an interesting & enjoyable venue for an apple/cheddar combo! Made your recipe as written, using freshly picked Jonathan apples & some homemade apple cider (not at my home, howevere!) & the soup was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! A definite keeper recipe, at least for me! [Tagged, made & reviewed fo rone of my swapmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #33]
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- fresh apple, slices
- green peppercorn
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add chopped apple; simmer covered 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl combine milk and flour and stir into soup.
- Cook and stir until bubbly.
- Slowly add cheese and whisk until cheese is melted.
- Divide soup among serving bowls: top with apple slices and peppercorns.