Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This sounds like an unusual combination, but apple pie and cheddar cheese are a traditional pairing. Recipe from Diabetic Cooking magazine
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking power, salt cinnamon and baking soda. Stir in apple and cheese.
- Whisk applesauce, egg, milk and butter in another bowl. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Knead dough on floured surface five times. Pat and stretch into an 8 inch circle. Slice into 10 pie-shaped pieces. Place pieces on baking sheet and spray tops with cooking spray. Bake 15 min or until lightly browned.