Recipe by VickyJ
These are good served warm in the morning with a cup o'tea. They are also good with chili or soups.
Top Review by Maria H.
Yum! I added a bit more applesauce for moisture and baked it as an oval loaf on the pan instead of cutting it into triangles. I also added about 1/2 tsp of italian herb blend. It was delicious!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup crushed walnuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- Using pastry blender or fork, cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in cheese and nuts.
- Add apple sauce; stir just until moistened.
- On floured surface, knead dough gently 5 or 6 times.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; press into 8-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into wedges; separate slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.