This is a nice autumn soup to make after going apple-picking. Uses simple ingredients.
Make and share this Apple Cheddar Potato Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- In large saucepan, heat oil. Add apples, potato, celery, onion, and thyme. Saute 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine and simmer 2 minutes; add broth and simmer about 40-45 minutes or until everything is very tender.
- Using a blender or food processor, puree soup mixture, but leave just a little bit lumpy. Return to saucepan.
- Over very low heat, stir in cheese and cream.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and flour; add to soup and stir. Add nutmeg, and pepper. Cook just until heated through--do not boil or cheese will curdle.