Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is great cold--also with a good salad and chutney. I've also taken it on picnics and the children have taken it in lunch boxes. It's also good weekend fare for when you're busy and everyone's in and out.
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated (I use a Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet wine (a dessert wine is best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- In a bowl combine all ingredients; mix well.
- Press dough into a large greased pie plate.
- Marinate apple in wine for about 2 hours approx; drain well.
- Sprinkle apple and cheese over base of pie crust.
- Beat eggs and cream together; add nutmeg.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 180°C (350°F) for 45 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Leave to stand in the plate for 15 minutes before cutting.