I found this recipe in a booklet from MOTT'S Applesauce and thought that they sounded really good. The booklet suggests serving these with chili.
- Heat oven to 400°F
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using pastry blender or fork, cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in cheese and nuts.
- Add apple sauce; stir just until moistened.
- On floured surface, knead dough gently 5 or 6 times.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; press into 8-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into wedges; separate slightly.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.
Wow, these scones are absolutely SUPERB! The cheddar goes great with the applesauce flavour and the sunflower seeds add a lovely crunch. I used Syd's Raw Applesauce for these and the honey added a subtle sweetness, which I thought was great with the cheese. I subbed whole spelt flour for the ap as thats what I had on hand and the nutty taste of it complemented the seeds nicely. Ill definitely make these again! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, MRSJSPANTS!
OK...I have finished the eating the 2nd one!!! Whoa Nellie!!! Lazyme...totally amazing. I did however have to use a wee bit more applesauce, probably due to the lack of moisture in my flour as we live in a dry climate. So this is nothing new to me. I will be making more tomorrow to share with friends. DH usually only has one at a time, this time he asked for a second one. Thank you for sharing a great keeper.
Awesome! I made these as directed and we all enjoyed them a lot. I wouldn't change a thing! I made these in Don's memory, including making my family wait to eat dinner until I was done photographing them - LOL! Thanks!