Recipe by lazyme
I found this recipe in a booklet from MOTT'S Applesauce and thought that they sounded really good. The booklet suggests serving these with chili.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Wow, these scones are absolutely SUPERB! The cheddar goes great with the applesauce flavour and the sunflower seeds add a lovely crunch. I used Syd's Recipe #324030 for these and the honey added a subtle sweetness, which I thought was great with the cheese. I subbed whole spelt flour for the ap as thats what I had on hand and the nutty taste of it complemented the seeds nicely. Ill definitely make these again! THANKS SO MUCH for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, MRSJSPANTS!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, unsalted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce, Mott's
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using pastry blender or fork, cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Stir in cheese and nuts.
- Add apple sauce; stir just until moistened.
- On floured surface, knead dough gently 5 or 6 times.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; press into 8-inch circle, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into wedges; separate slightly.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve warm.