Recipe by *Z*
This is an adopted recipe. I will post an intro after I make it.
Top Review by Nikoma
The flavor of these was nice, but between the nuts and oatmeal they came out dry and kind of grainy. I ended up eating the muffin tops off where the buttery apple slices moistened them up. Also at 25 minutes mine were bordering on burned. I would cut it down to 18-20.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, Granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup oats, Quick Cooking
- 1 cup apple, Finely Chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, Sharp Coarse Grate
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, Chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 15 slices apples, unpeeled
- butter, Melted
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl, mix lightly.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture.
- In this order, add the oats cheddar and pecans, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until all the ingredients are just moistened.
- Grease the muffin pans and fill each cup 2/3rds full of batter.
- Dip the apple slices in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon-sugar.
- Press 1 apple slice into the top of each muffin.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon-sugar and bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.