Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I will post an intro after I make it.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, Granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup oats, Quick Cooking
- 1 cup apple, Finely Chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, Sharp Coarse Grate
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, Chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 15 slices apples, unpeeled
- butter, Melted
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream the shortening and sugar together and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl, mix lightly.
- Gradually stir the flour mixture into the shortening mixture.
- In this order, add the oats cheddar and pecans, mixing well after each addition.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until all the ingredients are just moistened.
- Grease the muffin pans and fill each cup 2/3rds full of batter.
- Dip the apple slices in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon-sugar.
- Press 1 apple slice into the top of each muffin.
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon-sugar and bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
The flavor of these was nice, but between the nuts and oatmeal they came out dry and kind of grainy. I ended up eating the muffin tops off where the buttery apple slices moistened them up. Also at 25 minutes mine were bordering on burned. I would cut it down to 18-20.
Really enjoyed these muffins. The cheddar cheese is an inspired addition and the apple slice on top makes them very attractive. Good flavour, tender crumb.