Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Down Home Cookin'", this recipe is delicious! It's sweet and savory :P
Make and share this Apple Cheddar Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, applesauce and sugar. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together; add all at once with Cheddar cheese to egg mixture.
- Stir only until flour mixture is moistened (batter will be lumpy). Divide batter among 12 greased muffin cups. (Cups will be more than 2/3 full).
- Bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in muffin pan 5 minutes. Run knife around outer edges of each muffin; turn out onto rack to cool completely.
Just took these out of the oven and couldn't wait to eat one! They smelled so good when they were baking! I think next time I will add a bit more cheese. I also realized with my first bite that I forgot the salt. Oopsie! Crucial, since my first thought was that they were a tad bland. Duh! (the salt will definitely take care of that!) I ended up making 9 muffins instead of 12. I sprayed the muffin pan with cooking spray and these popped right out.
These were delicious! I added chopped pecans to the batter.
I followed the recipe exactly as written and these are spectacular! They were very moist and none of the flavors overpowered the rest. I used paper muffin liners but the liners are hard to peel away from the muffin so next time I won't use those. I'll just grease the muffin tin by itself. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe...definitely a keeper!!