Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A twist on a New England favorite.
- 14 slices firm white bread
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 lbs granny smith apples
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 ounces coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread bread slices thinly on 1 side with 1/2 stick butter.
- In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over buttered sides of bread.
- Arrange bread, buttered sides up, on baking sheets and toast in batches in middle of oven until just golden, about 15 minutes.
- Cool cinnamon toast on racks and quarter each slice into triangles, reserving 24 triangles.
- Peel, quarter, and core apples.
- Cut apples lengthwise into thin slices and in a bowl toss with lemon juice.
- In a large heavy skillet melt remaining 1/2 stick butter with brown sugar over moderately high heat, stirring, and add apples and water.
- Cook mixture, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook apples until just tender and most liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes more.
- Butter a 9-cup oval gratin dish or a 13- by 9- by 2-inch shallow baking dish (about 3 quarts).
- Arrange one layer of cinnamon toasts in dish, breaking triangles to fit.
- Spoon half of apple mixture evenly over toasts and sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup Cheddar.
- Top with another layer of cinnamon toasts and remaining apple mixture.
- Arrange reserved cinnamon toast, sugared sides up, overlapping slightly, in a ring around edge of dish.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, milk, and salt and pour slowly and evenly over apples.
- Chill pudding, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Bake pudding in middle of oven 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar evenly over top and bake pudding 15 minutes more.