Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A delicious dessert I cooked for my family
- 5 cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf day-old white bread, crusts removed
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Brush six 1-cup capacity ovenproof dishes with melted butter. Place apple in pan with brown sugar, cinnamon and enough water to cover. Cook until tender; drain and cool.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut 12 rounds from bread slices to fit top and base of each dish. Cut remaining slices into fingers 2cm (3/4 inch) wide; trim to fit height of each dish. Dip six rounds in melted butter and place in base of dishes. Dip each finger of bread into melted butter and press around sides of dish vertically, overlapping a little.
- Fill each bread-lined dish with the cooked apple;top with last rounds of butter dipped bread. Place on baking tray; bake 20 minutes. Turn onto plates and serve warm with jam sauce and ice cream and/or cream.
- To make Jam Sauce: Place sauce ingredients in small pan; bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and serve hot.
when I chose this recipe for the august swap, I thought I would have some hassles with the bread casing. I didnt. admittedly, I used a texas muffin pan, (that all I had) and I made the bases, and then cut strips that went "around" rather then up and down. I filled them with the apple mix, and then popped the top on. 20 mins was perfect. they didnt stick or anything! I sprinkled the tops with cinnamon sugar and they were really good. If I were to suggest any change, I would maybe put a weight on the top and fridge it for a few hours, as the top was puffy, but it certainly did not detract from the taste! Great frist recipe chef!!! hope you post more! I took a photo, will post when I download the camera :)