Recipe by Manuela
Typical Italian dessert from my city: Milano. It's easy to make, healthy and kinda restaurant-like.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 slices thick bread, crust removed
- 50 ml rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place apples, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon zest and wine in a heavy saucepan.
- Pour in water to cover completely.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes.
- Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with water.
- Let soak 10 minutes, then drain and reserve.
- In a small bowl, cream together butter and remaining sugar until well combined.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish with this butter mixture.
- Line bottom and sides of the baking dish with bread slices, overlapping slightly.
- Drain the apples and combine them with the drained raisins.
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the lined dish.
- Cover the top with the remaining bread.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven 1 hour.
- To serve (warm or cold), pour rum over the warm charlotte and light it with a long match or kitchen torch.