Recipe by Geema
A delightfully different slaw style salad. You can use more or less horseradish to suit your taste. I love to serve this as a pre-dinner salad spooned on top of a bed of watercress or part of a large buffet.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
I really liked it! I wanted the dressing a little sweeter and I felt there was too much dressing (and I already had cut it by 1/3. Make sure your cheese has some "bite/spunk" to it so that it doesn't get lost in the flavors of this slaw. I enjoyed the addition of horseradish. I also added some lemon pepper to mine. Thanks for posting!
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere cheese
- 1 medium celery root
- 1 1⁄2 granny smith apples
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons bottled horseradish, drained or 3 tablespoons grated fresh horseradish, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cheese into matchsticks and put in a large bowl.
- Peel celery root and apples and cut into matchsticks.
- Add celery root, apples, and lemon juice to cheese, tossing gently.
- In a small bowl stir together remaining ingredients and add to slaw, tossing gently.
- Slaw may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Add additional horseradish to taste before serving if necessary.