Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another favourite gingery recipe from "Red, Hot and Green". The book describes this as invigorating, refreshing and lusty in flavour! Low calorie and fat but still satisfying. Could be fat free by eliminating the oil and peanuts. My family is crazy about this taste!
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 large Asian pears, cored and slivered
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and slivered
- 3 inches gingerroot, peeled and slivered
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped toasted peanuts, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar and peanut oil.
- Add the pears, carrots, ginger, and shallots; mix gently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- The salad can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 3 hours.
- Just before serving add the mint and mix gently.
- Serve immediately, garnished with the peanuts.
My family loved this. It was not too sweet and had a lot of flavor. The only substitutions I made were to use regular rice wine vinegar and instead of peanut oil I used a mixture of canola and toasted sesame oil. Yum! Served with Mean Chef's "Zuni Rolls with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce" recipe #25025, but I went real easy on the chipotle. Excellent light dinner that everyone, including the kids, enjoyed.