Hungry Chefs's Note:
Homestyle Hint: I like to use a tart apple, such as Granny Smith, for this cake. Yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Lightly coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- 4In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- 5In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs and egg whites for 1 minute, or until foamy.
- 6Beat in the applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until blended.
- 7Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- 8Stir in the carrots, and apple.
- 9Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- 10Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 11Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- 13In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the light cream cheese, fat-free cream cheese, and butter for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- 14Stir in the vanilla extract.
- 15Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- 16Let the frosting return to room temperature and whisk again to lighten it before using.
- 17When completely cool, spread the cake with the frosting, swirling it for a decorative appearance. Garnish with the walnuts, if using.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-carrot Cake and Best Ever Cream Cheese Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (1937 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4059.8
- Calories from Fat 864
- Total Fat 96.0 g
- Saturated Fat 55.1 g
- Cholesterol 664.5 mg
- Sodium 5363.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 702.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.5 g
- Sugars 474.7 g
- Protein 112.1 g