Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Homestyle Hint: I like to use a tart apple, such as Granny Smith, for this cake. Yummy!
Make and share this Apple-carrot Cake and Best Ever Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded (about 2 medium)
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons light butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs and egg whites for 1 minute, or until foamy.
- Beat in the applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until blended.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the carrots, and apple.
- Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the light cream cheese, fat-free cream cheese, and butter for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- Let the frosting return to room temperature and whisk again to lighten it before using.
- When completely cool, spread the cake with the frosting, swirling it for a decorative appearance. Garnish with the walnuts, if using.