Recipe by Celeste :)
This is a "makeover" recipe - making it healthier than a traditional recipe. Be sure to use the "lighter" ingredients as listed to ensure that it is healthier. The recipe also claims that one serving of this cake provides nearly 40% of an adult's daily reccomended level of beta-carotene. HINT: I like to use a tart apple, such as a Granny Smith, for this cake.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup 2% buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 apple, peeled and shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) container light cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons light butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350^F. Lightly coat a 13"x9" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, unbleached or all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the eggs and egg whites for 1 minute, or until foamy. Beat in the applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until blended. Gradually beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the carrots and apple. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 40 mintues, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the light cream cheese, fat-free cream cheese, and butter for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffly. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the vanilla extract. Spread the cake with the frosting once the cake is compeletly cool - swirling the frosting for a decorative appearance. Garnish with walnuts, if using.