Recipe by catercow
Traditionally these were served in Denmark during carnival celebrations and are usually served with nuts and raisins. I edited the recipe to include apples (which I love) and omitted the nuts. Don't exceed the amount of filling though because they may burst when baking.
Top Review by Studentchef
Oh my gosh! This is better than apple cake. They're like buns and apple cake rolled into one. I just loved it! Instead of using the icing to make crosses, I just drizzled it over each one.
- 1 (16 ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 medium apples, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and prepare roll mix as directed, adding sugar and cinnamon to the dry ingredients.
- Blend apples, sugar, and lemon juice and fold in raisins.
- Divide roll dough in half and roll each half into 16 by 8 rectangle.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut into 4 inch squares.
- Place 1 tbsp filling in the center of each square and pull corners together, overlapping.
- Preheat oven to 375 and place buns, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake buns about 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden. Allow to cool.
- In a small bow, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth and drizzle icing over the cooled buns.