Recipe by october sky
I found this wonderful recipe in one of our local papers a few years back. It is so delicious, and the caramel is what makes this pie so special. The recipe calls for Jonamac apples, but I use a mixture of yellow delicious, and macintosh and it turns out great.
Top Review by LaurietheLibrarian
First I made "Soft Candy Caramels" # 327674 and place it in my apple pie. The family loved it and our guests said it was like eating a piece of Blue Ribbon Pie at a country fair. The sauce from the caramel and apple juice is sweet and delicious. I used a mix of apples and added a scoop of whole wheat flour to my crust. Great recipe!
Pastry for 9 inch double crust pie
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -6 tablespoons ice water
- 6 cups jonamac apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 14 vanilla caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make Crust:.
- Cut shortening into flour until fine crumbs form.
- Add salt.
- Mix in water.
- Rollout into 2-9 inch crusts.
- Combine sliced apples with sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter.
- Spoon half into pastry lined pie dish and spread evenly.
- Melt caramels with water in top of double boiler.
- Drizzle over apples.
- Spoon remaining apple mixture over caramel layer.
- Place second crust over apples and crimp edges to seal.
- Bake 45 minutes in 425 oven.
- Cover edge of crust with foil if it browns to quickly.