Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the www.recipe4living.com website. "Real chunks of tart apples add fresh flavor to this sweet cake."
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (about 3 cups Granny Smith apples)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the Caramel Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- heavy cream, softly whipped (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- In medium size bowl, stir flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix well; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat oil, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla 3 minutes. Stir in flour mixture just until moistened; fold in apples and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50-55 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven’ set cake, in pan, on wire rack.
- In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, bring butter, brown sugar, and milk to boil, stirring until sugar melts; boil 1 minute. Spoon half of glaze over warm cake, setting remainder aside; let cake stand 5 minutes.
- Cut warm cake into 3x2 inch pieces; serve accompanied by remaining glaze and, if desired, whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.