Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the www.recipe4living.com website. "Real chunks of tart apples add fresh flavor to this sweet cake."
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (about 3 cups Granny Smith apples)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
For the Caramel Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- heavy cream, softly whipped (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan.
- In medium size bowl, stir flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix well; set aside.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat oil, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla 3 minutes. Stir in flour mixture just until moistened; fold in apples and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 50-55 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven’ set cake, in pan, on wire rack.
- In 1 quart saucepan over medium high heat, bring butter, brown sugar, and milk to boil, stirring until sugar melts; boil 1 minute. Spoon half of glaze over warm cake, setting remainder aside; let cake stand 5 minutes.
- Cut warm cake into 3x2 inch pieces; serve accompanied by remaining glaze and, if desired, whipped cream sprinkled with cinnamon.