Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Holidays at Home.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups baking apples, pared, cored, and diced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and oil; beat until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture gradually, beating constantly.
- Add in vanilla; mix to combine.
- Sprinkle apples w/ lemon juice; add apples and walnuts to batter; combine well (yes, batter will be VERY thick).
- Spoon batter into a greased and floured Bundt pan or large tube pan.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 75 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn out cake onto a serving plate and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze: melt butter in a small saucepan; add in remaining ingredients; stir as you bring to a rolling boil.
- Boil rapidly for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cool slightly and spoon over cooled cake, allowing glaze to run down sides.