1 hr 25 mins
This recipe is from the www.rightathome.com website. "This melt-in-your-mouth bread pudding, laced with caramel and layered with apples, can be made with any type of day-old bread."
My Private Note
quart d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 apples (Golden Delicious, McIntosh or Winesap apples, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, peeled, halved and cor)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped or 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup dried cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cherries or 1/2 cup dried currant
- 4 cups day-old white bread, packed (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups French bread (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups Italian bread (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups challah (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups brioche bread (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces) or 4 cups stale croissants (cut or torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Place the baking rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish (11 by 7 by 1 1/2 inches), or spray generously with cooking spray.
- 3Cut the apples into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a large bowl, mix together apples, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- 4Melt the 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a 10– to 12–inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the apple mixture using a wooden or heat-resistant spatula and cook over same medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the apples are softened and begin to turn golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the walnuts or dried fruit and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Set aside to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 5While the caramelized apple mixture is cooling, toast the bread on a baking sheet in the oven until crisp and the edges are just starting to color, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside on baking rack.
- 6Once the caramelized apple mixture is slightly cooled, gently and evenly spread half into the buttered baking dish. Add the toasted bread to the remaining apples in the bowl and stir to combine; then spoon the mixture into the baking dish.
- 7In a medium bowl combine the eggs, egg yolks, milk, remaining 1/4 cup of brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg and whisk until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Then pour evenly over the apple and bread mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- 8Bake until puffed and browned on the top and the custard is set, about 45 to 55 minutes. Serve hot, warm or chilled.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple- Caramel Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.6
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 111.7 mg
- Sodium 311.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 9.5 g