Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I wanted more verity to use my caramel flavoring I bought and found this on the web. By Marilyn Helton Dietary Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.
- 4 cups French bread, cut in 1-inch cubes, divided
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1 teaspoon caramel flavoring (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine, suitable for baking
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking dish or 2-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 2 cups of the bread cubes in the bottom of the dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the applesauce, raisins, caramel flavoring and nutmeg.
- Blend well and spoon evenly over the bread cubes.
- Top with remaining 2 cups of bread cubes.
- Beat eggs in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and pour over the bread cubes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the topping.
- Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top of bread mixture and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until knife inserted in center of pudding comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.