Recipe by Tendoy5
My mom has been making this cake for years, but did not find the sauce recipe until we cleaned my grandfather's kitchen when he moved into the nursing home.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 6 -8 apples, ida red
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice apples, stir into flour, sugar, cinnamon mixture; set aside.
- Prepare cake according to directions and pour into 9x13-inch pan.
- Place apples in rows on cake - try to stand them on edge.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Prepare sauce: Combine cornstarch, sugar and lemon peel in 1 quart sauce pan; add water slowly.
- Stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Makes 3 cups.
- Serve cake with warm sauce.