Top Review by Doing it Right
I made this this past Sunday for a family get together. What a wonderful treat it was. Everyone loved it. I did make it in a 9X13 pan, and baked it approximately 10 minutes longer. Worked out wonderfully. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled cooking apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- pecan pieces
- caramel ice cream topping
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 4 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together apples and sugar.
- Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture; stir until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in caramel ice cream topping.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat in 2 1/4 cups additional powdered sugar to reach the appropriate spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Frost top of this cake layer.
- Add the second cake layer on top; frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with additional pecan pieces and drizzle with extra caramel ice cream topping.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.