Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled cooking apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- pecan pieces
- caramel ice cream topping
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 4 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
- In a large bowl, mix together apples and sugar.
- Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to apple mixture; stir until combined.
- Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- For frosting: In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in caramel ice cream topping.
- Gradually beat in 2 cups sifted powdered sugar.
- Beat in 2 1/4 cups additional powdered sugar to reach the appropriate spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Frost top of this cake layer.
- Add the second cake layer on top; frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Garnish with additional pecan pieces and drizzle with extra caramel ice cream topping.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator.
I made this this past Sunday for a family get together. What a wonderful treat it was. Everyone loved it. I did make it in a 9X13 pan, and baked it approximately 10 minutes longer. Worked out wonderfully. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.
Everyone loved the cake and even asked to lick the frosting from the bowl. :) But for me it's too sweet. I would reduce the sugar next time.
Exceptional recipe, and the frosting is also good not only for this cake but for other fall treats (spread it on graham crackers or apple slices or cornbread).