Recipe by whitan
The apples are insanely delicious this time of year, so I decided to pull out my favorite apple cake recipe, originally published in Bon Appetit years ago.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups chopped unpeeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add sugar, oil, vanilla, and orange juice.
- On low speed, blend in flour mixture.
- Fold in apples, walnuts, and coconut.
- Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until cake tests done.
- Invert cake onto a large plate or platter.
- Deeply puncture the top of the warm cake with a skewer or pick.
- In a small saucepan, bring all sauce ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Immediately spoon 1 1/4 cups of the sauce slowly over the top of the cake, then pour the remainder down the sides.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.