Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I developed this recipe from a blueberry muffin recipe, incorporating my diet preferences and using ideas from my Grandma's best cake.
- 100 g butter, softened
- 44.37 ml honey
- 2 eggs
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 250 ml sour milk
- 150 g porridge oats, ground or processed
- 100 g gluten-free flour
- 236.59 ml apple, chopped
- Notes: Cake can also be sweetened with dates by simmering dates in water until they are quite mushy and most of the water has been absorbed. I would use between 150-200g dates. Adjust baking powder to 1/2t if you use self-raising flour, and use whatever flour you prefer. Sour milk can be made by adding 1T vinegar or lemon juice to sweet milk.
- Optional additions: raisins, sultanas or berries.
- Combine butter and honey. Add eggs. Stir in vanilla, baking powder, and cinnamon, until well combined.
- Alternate milk and flours, stirring each time until well combined.
- Stir in apples and any other additions.
- Bake in round or square baking tin at 175°C/350°F for about 30 minutes. Cake will be firm to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean.