Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very good! Been years but I will make soon! Prep time is estimated for soaking and icing prep!
- 4 apples, peeled and grated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- For cake: Pour sugar over apples and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Beat oil and eggs; add sugar and apples.
- Sift soda, salt and flour together and add to the mixture.
- Pour into ungreased 13x9 pan; bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- For icing: mix sugar, milk, coconut, pecans and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook to thread stage; test with spoon until the mixture drips and leaves threads or strings hanging (approx. 230 degrees).
- When this is reached, remove from heat and add butter; spread on cake.
This is really a winner. The cake is wonderfully moist. I made it exactly as written. It's not a typical apple cake with cinnamon and spice. Rather, it's the perfect compliment to the delicious icing - a buttery coconut/pecan icing. YUMM! The guys went back for seconds. I'll be making this again.
If I could give this cake 10 stars, that still wouldn't be enough. Quite outstanding! Moist and delicious....The topping compliments the cake, but the cake alone is worthy of praise. DH wants to make the next one (under my supervision, of course) so when he has a hankering...he can whip one up himself!!
very good and moist. The frosting makes this cake very rich but very yummy