Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very good flavor. Not the easiest cake to make, takes some time and effort. Alot of apple peeling involved. But well worth the effort in my opinion. I shred my apples with my food processor.
- 1 1⁄4 cups white flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
Last half of recipe
- 2 cups of shredded apples
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Spoon flour into a measuring cup, level off.
- Blend all ingredients until moistened.
- Beat for 3 minutes.
- By hand stir in the apples and nuts.
- Pour into a prepared 12 cup fluted tube pan, greased generously with shortening.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50-65 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean, when inserted.
- Cool upright, in pan for 15 minutes.
- Place on serving plate.
- Glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla and 2-3 tsp.
- of milk.
- Spoon glaze over cake.
I used all whole wheat flour, and it turned out fine. I also used more like 2 1/2 cups of shredded apple, and that was also ok.