Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 large apples, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 10" pie pan or 8x12" baking pan.
- Combine sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Blend in flour and baking powder.
- Mix apples with raisins, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Pour half of mixture into pan.
- Spread apples over surface as level as possible.
- Cover with remaining batter.
- Bake 1 hour or until toothpick stuck into center comes out dry.
What a lovely apple cake recipe! Its easy and quick to put together and the taste is fabulous! I would have never thought of putting vanilla and cinnamon together, but it really works and makes for a wonderful taste! I cut the recipe in half and had enough to make two small cakes (see pic). The apple-raisin filling is really yummy, but a little too much for the amount of batter. I had almost enough for another cake left after assembling the first ones. But I just baked that without any dough added and ate it plain. Mmmm! Due to personal preference I cut the sugar in half and it was still nice and sweet. Thanks so much for sharing this gem of a recipe with us, Chef! Made and reviewed for one of my babies during Fall PAC 09.
This is a wonderful recipe!! The second time I made it, I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins and the grated zest of a lemon in both the batter and when I tossed the applies. Absolutely out of this world!!